Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Adding an extra foot (why planning ahead would have helped)

The benchwork extra foot is done and installed.  It took nearly as much work as the original 5X10.  So much for afterthoughts . . .
I am getting ready to lay out the track plan and glue down woodland scenics roadbed.   Also need to build a wooden jig or 2 to bend the Gargraves (a strong recommendation from what I read).  I am still not sure how well this is going to work on top of 2” of foam since I can’t screw down the track.  Straights will be fine.  For the curves, I am hoping that if I pre-bend the track and weight and glue it, it will be ok.  I will try a section, and if it fails miserably, I will pull off the foam and maybe add another 1/8” underlayment and put the roadbed and track on that.  I’ll have to give up on most of the below grade scenery, but I’ll cope. To be honest, a lot of things will be easier if I pull the foam off, but I have a pathological tendency to avoid doing things the easy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment