Friday, July 9, 2010

Laying track

Last week I unpacked and assembled the Gargraves sectional track.  And (pat myself on the back) the curves fit my carefully laid roadbed perfectly.  I measure and cut each section of straight or flex track, file the burrs and run a 1/16" drill into the hollow ends of the track.  I am thoroughly enjoying cutting track with my Dremel and a 2 1/2 inch diameter carbide disc.  Sparks fly as it tears through the metal with a high pitched screech.  Ahr, ahr, more power!

I am drilling holes through the table top for power feeds.  The feeds are 6" lengths of 18g wire with spade connectors crimped on.  The spades wedge in the underside of the split rail and I just insert the wires through the holes as I lay the track down.  I am not gluing any track yet.  I want to be sure it all fits and I want to be able to test it first.  At this point, I have 2/3 of each mainline done.  Tested the crossover a few times and no derailment. 





No comments:

Post a Comment